About Roman Finds Group
The Roman Finds Group (RFG) provides a forum for all those with an interest in Roman artefacts. Founded in 1987, our membership is both professional and amateur, and new members are always welcome. Our current membership is 350.
Our main communication with members is through our twice-yearly newsletter, Lucerna and our Twitter feed where we have over 3,000 followers. Meetings are held twice a year across the country, with speakers presenting papers on a particular theme, site, region, exhibition, or current research in advance of publication. Meetings are normally regionally based: over the last five years meetings have been held in Canterbury, Colchester, London, Reading, Salisbury, Newcastle, and York. Our Autumn 2020 meeting was held online in association with the University of Glasgow attracting 300 registrations. Occasionally joint meetings are held with museums or other special interest groups; our Autumn 2019 meeting was held in association with Instrumentum, the Finds Research Group, and the Later Prehistoric Finds Group.
Our latest initiatives include 35 films on the study of Roman Finds and open access to recordings of our meeting talks.
The Benefits of Roman Finds Group Membership
The objectives of the RFG are to promote the study, research, publication, teaching and conservation of the material culture of Roman Britain. By joining RFG you are supporting our objectives and furthering the study of Roman material culture in Britain. Membership of the RFG will entitle individuals to:
- Two copies of our newsletter, Lucerna, each year.
- Access to our Roman finds Datasheets, recent datasheets have covered portable phallic objects, weighing instruments and Romano-British glass bangles.
- Full access to the website, including the Members-only section which includes recent copies of Lucerna and Datasheets, as well as PDFs of finds catalogues and other out-of-print finds-related works.
- Reduced fees to our twice-yearly meetings, held around the country each Spring (typically a two-day meeting) and Autumn.
- Additional small bursaries to attend RFG meetings, including towards travel fees or accommodation, are also available to Members. Details on how to apply for bursaries are here.
- Access to small grants to help with small finds research. These grants are available to individual, fully paid-up, Members and will be awarded for applications seeking to support our objectives eg publication drawings and maps or travel to museums for object research. Special consideration is given to articles offered to Lucerna. £1,000 is available each year (reviewable). Details on how to apply for grants are here.
- Group payment for individual RFG members to Instrumentum, the European bi-annual magazine. Join through RFG to receive four years’ of Instrumentum membership for three years' payment. In addition the RFG will absorb the conversion fee in a bulk payment on your behalf.
- Free/reduced entrance to major finds-related exhibitions, where this can be negotiated.
- Discounts on finds-related books, or pre-publication offers, where these can be negotiated.
Brooches from the North : 16th March
The first in a new series of free online seminars for RFG members only. 'Zoom in on Roman Finds'
RFG Exeter Conference 16th - 17th April 2021
New Research on Finds from the Roman South-West
SOLD OUT. Sorry, but all the tickets have now gone. Please register for conference Information and we will let you know when talks are available (post conference online). This will also act as a waiting list should any tickets become available.
RFG Glasgow Conference 2020 - Watch Now
New Research on Finds from Roman Scotland and the North
Our Autumn Online Conference videos are now available on our website for you to watch.
We have made a series of introductory films on Roman finds, with leading Roman finds specialists and access to collections from across the country. Our first series of ten films covers domestic life, personal life and working life. Our second series is currently in production.
RFG newsletter - Lucerna
Lucerna is published in hard copy twice a year, and contains articles on finds, interesting unpublished objects, book and conference reviews, news of meetings and conferences, and a forum for help with puzzling artefacts. Contributions are welcomed by our Newsletter Editor Matt Fittock (see 'RFG Committee' page). The full archive can be found on our Lucerna page, with editions from the most recent two years available exclusively to RFG Members.
Please share! Download and pin up this poster, to promote RFG to a wider audience. Thank you!
Booking is now open for our Spring 2021 Roman Finds Group Conference. Click on the link above or visit the meetings page.... Read More »
From 22-28 August 2021 the 25th Limes Congress will take place in Nijmegen, the Netherlands. We would like to invite paper proposals for Session 16: Dress and adornment in frontier communities.... Read More »